Thursday, February 25, 2010

Exercise Routine

Becoming an almost 40 year old woman is NOT what I signed up for. For the past 10 years, I have told myself over and over... "you need to exercise and get fit"... "it will help your aches and pains".... "plus, you will look and feel sexier!!"

But, each time I tried an exercise routine... I would continue for a few days.... than life would get in the way (or I would LET life interrupt my exercise) and I would quit.

Now, finally, I have stuck to an exercise program for a few weeks and I am starting to feel (and see) the results. I started by walking on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes for at least three days a week. Occasionally I would walk longer. Than, I increased it to more than three days a week and more than 30 minutes if I felt energetic enough.

Now... I can walk at a very brisk pace (and even run for intervals of 2-3 minutes) for 30 to 50 minutes every day. AND my knees don't hurt! And I am wide awake every morning with no need to sleep in. When I am walking at a slower pace on the treadmill, I move my arms and torso so that I am exercising those areas while I catch my breath by walking slower... kinda keeping my heart rate up AND using muscles that I normally would not use in just plain walking. I am also doing some light weight lifting and stretching exercises to strengthen my joints and "lift" areas that need lifting (like buttocks and chest).

Lately, I have felt stronger, more energetic, and definitely more alive! I am thinking that I might be starting a NEW addiction! A healthy habit! A love affair with physical fitness! I am reading books on it, watching shows on it... I even checked out the local college to see what classes would be needed to become a personal fitness trainer. Hmmmm... I think I am on to something here! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment